With Pope Francis’ current trip to United States many of us might be wondering who exactly is Pope Francis and why is he such an important figure. Popfeeder dug deep and researched 10 facts about the 266th Pope of the Catholic Church in order to get to know him.
1. Born Jorge Mario Bergoglio in Buenos Aires, Argentina on December 17, 1936. Making him 78 years old.
2. While going to school to earn a degree in chemistry, he worked as a bouncer at a local bar.
3. The first Jesuit Pope. The Society of Jesus is the largest men’s religious order in the world. Because a Jesuit makes a promise not to seek higher office, it’s unusual to find one leading a cathedral, much less the Vatican.
4. Not only is he the first Latin American pope but the first non-European pope in more than 1,000 years.
5. Pope Francis had part of his right lung removed during childhood because of an infection.
6. The Pope was named Time Person of the Year in 2013 and has been on the covers of Rolling Stone, Esquire and The Advocate.
8. With 24 Million followers across 9 different language accounts he is more popular than artist such as Bruno Mars & Miley Cyrus. He also post daily.
9. He has always rejected luxury. As a priest and then bishop and cardinal in Argentina, Pope Francis was known to take public transportation and to live in more modest accommodations than the official residences reserved for him.
10. Pope Francis’ pontificate (tenure as a pope) will probably be a short one. On the second anniversary of his election by the conclave, he stated “I have the feeling that my pontificate will be brief — four or five years, even two or three.”